Anything goes when it comes down to mold growth. Toys, books, and clothing are just a couple examples of what mold can grow on. It grows on many different items, and it can turn your prized possessions into items that look like they belong in the trash.
Even though mold can be an annoyance at best, should you really be worried about our health if you find it in your home? And what can it do to your body? This article will thoroughly explain mold and the potential risks that it poses to humans.
Mold is a form of fungus, and there are many different kinds that can be found both indoors and outdoors. They spread by means of spores, which are present in all indoor environments. Spores cannot all be removed, and they are found in all homes in small amounts – but they are capable of surviving in harsh conditions that normal mold growth would not be able to withstand.
This fungus grows most easily in warm and humid environments. This can easily be created in the home during the winter and spring months. When a mold spore attaches itself to a spot of dampness, they begin to grow rapidly. These spores can then multiply and begin to grow on many different kinds of surfaces, including paper, wood, fabric, and insulation.
Some of the most common strains of mold that are found indoors are as follows:
Alternaria: Found in showers and underneath sinks.
Aspergillus: Found on food items and building materials (drywall).
Cladosporium: Found on fabrics and wooden surfaces.
Penicillium: Found on water damaged items, blue or green in appearance.
When most people think of mold, they think of black mold. But mold can have a variety of different appearances, such as white, black, yellow, blue, or green. Mold can also appear as a stain or discoloration on a surface.
So how exactly does mold make its way into a home? Mold likes to grow in damp areas, so a damp patch in your home will likely attract spores. These spores are not visible to the naked eye, but they can be found everywhere. They can enter the home through windows, doorways, and ventilation systems. But mold won’t automatically grow if your home is wet; there must be the proper conditions. If there isn’t a source of nutrients as well as the moisture, you won’t have an issue in your home.
If you have mold in your home you will definitely notice, as it is visible and often produces a musty odor. The EPA states that if mold is a problem on your property, you should clean it up quickly; but the question remains, is it because it could damage the home or is it because it could potentially affect your health?
Just because a home has mold doesn’t mean that you will instantaneously get sick. The people who are most susceptible to health complications from mold are the ones who are allergic to it. This fungus has the ability to produce many substances that can be harmful such as allergens, irritants, and mycotoxins.
If mold does affect you, it will likely come in the form of eye irritation, a runny nose, lung problems, skin issues, and throat redness or itchiness.
In conclusion, mold can pose a health threat if it goes unnoticed for an extended period of time, but the people who are most susceptible to health issues due to mold are the elderly, infants, and those who have pre-existing respiratory issues.